Sunday 29 June 2014

Skincare/Makeup Routine

Hey guys, so this is my everyday skincare/makeup routine. This will probably change over time on this blog so if anyone wants me to update this routine as time goes on, just let me know! Obviously I may use the occasional different product as I couldn't show them all, and some days my skin may feel worse than others so I might use a face mask before my makeup or a different moisturiser, but this is the general everyday look. Enjoy!
           
1. Face Wash   
I've been using this product for a while now, and it helps to wake up my face in the morning, especially when I'm having one of those 'ugh' mornings (you know what I mean), where I just don't seem to want to wake up. I would definitely recommend this to anyone who suffers from acne or dry skin, as this hydrates your skin and opens up any clogged pores. 

2. Moisteriser
This moisteriser is a definite for dry skin. For my acne I was prescribed a cream, which although drastically got rid of my spots, did give me small amounts of dry skin patches. I wouldn't recommend this for people with oily skin, as the moisteriser itself is quite oily and liquid-y, but it feels so light and soft on the skin and cleared up any dry skin I had almost instantly.

3. Foundation
I would always advise using a moisturiser or a primer before applying foundation, as it helps to keep your skin healthier and less susceptible to breakouts. A primer is always useful if you need your makeup to stay on for a long amount of time. The foundation I'm currently using is the 'Maybelline Dream Satin Liquid' in the shade 'Light Porcelain', as I am pretty pale even in the summer, and I think this is a perfect foundation for this time of year. My skin recently has been a lot better, and I've been having less breakouts, and this foundation creates an almost airbrushed, light coverage, but is still able to cover up any minor blemishes I may have. 

I apply my foundation using the H&M foundation and powder brush, which kind of speaks for itself. I have a different brush which I use to apply my powder, but I use the powder end of the brush for smoothing out my foundation after I have applied it, just to make sure I'm not looking streaky or that I've blended it all in correctly.

4. Powder
The powder I use is the 'Rimmel London Stay Matte' pressed powder, in the shade 'Peach Glow', which isn't too pale and gives me a light glow on my face. I tend to buy powders a shade darker than what I need, especially in the summer, as I don't use a bronzer and sometimes like to look like I've tanned a little bit! This powder sets my foundation excellently and stays on for long periods of time, although if I need it to stay on all day I will take a spare in my bag for quick touchups!

I apply my powder using a large powder brush, I'm not sure where I got this or what make it is because I've had it a long time. If I find out I'll let you guys know!

5. Concealer
I have been using this concealer since I was about 11 or 12, when my acne first started to appear. It is the 'Rimmel London Hide The Blemish' concealer in the shade 'Sand', and I just use my finger to dab it on any larger blemishes that I need to conceal more urgently. Recently I haven't had to use this as much due to foundation and powder being enough for me to cover up my spots, but it's always handy if I get one larger spot that needs to be concealed, and it will always be my trusty concealer!


6. Eyebrows
For my everyday look I don't use any blusher or bronzer, or anything else on my cheeks, as I like to go for as natural a look as possible. I never used to put anything on my eyebrows, apart from the odd brown eyeshadow, but recently I have been using the 'Topshop Brow Pencil' in 'Blonde'.  The brush at one end helps to shape my eyebrows, as being too awkward to go to a salon to get my eyebrows done I prefer to do them myself, and the pencil really helps to bring out the natural shape and the curve I've tried (and failed) to enhance.


 7. Eyeliner
 When I was at school I never wore eyeliner, I just stuck to mascara for a more natural effect, but now eyeliner has slowly crept into my daily makeup routine, so I thought I would include it. I've experimented with many different eyeliners, both pencil and liquid, but the one I'm loving at the moment is the 'Eyeko Skinny Liquid Eyeliner' in 'Black'. I received this eyeliner in a magazine for only £2, which is an absolute bargain seeing as its sold for £12 in shops! I think I love it more than I should due to the fact that Alexa Chung created her own range of eyeliners for Eyeko, and come on, who doesn't love Alexa Chung?! The eyeliner is in a pen shape, so is perfect for the classic 'cat eye' or eyeliner flick that I've been attempting for so long.

8. Eyelash Curler
I've only recently purchased one of these as it didn't really occur to me to get one until last week, when I was getting sick of having tiny eyelashes that you couldn't really see even with mascara. I bought this one from Boots and I've used it a few times, and I can really see a difference with the shape and length of my eyelashes, plus I don't have to wear as much mascara in order for my eyelashes to show up, and so I can avoid clumping much more easily. 
 
9. Mascara    
Due to what I said before about my eyelashes being virtually non-existent, I use three different types of mascara to try and maximise the length as much as I can. I use the 'Collection 2000 Super Size Fat Lash Mascara' as a base coat, to lengthen them out from the eyelid to the tips and to add some definition to them. Secondly, I use the 'Rimmel London Volume Flash x10 Mascara' on my bottom lashes, as it has a smaller brush and does a great job at not allowing any of the lashes to clump together, as I find with my bottom lashes that they are more prone to clumping and sticking together. Finally, I go over both my top and bottom lashes with the 'Rimmel London Extra Wow Lash' to make the tips stand out more and to make the eyelashes look even longer. You'd think with all this mascara they would become more existent, wouldn't you? Thankfully, I only use one coat of each mascara on the lashes so they don't all clump together and end up looking like spiders legs. 

10. Lip Balm
On a regular basis I tend to avoid lipsticks or tinted lip products purely because its a hassle trying to keep it neat and applied when you might not be in a place where reapplying it all the time is possible. One thing I hate seeing is chapped lips; it genuinely makes me cringe, so I use 'The Body Shop Born Lippy' in the flavour 'Strawberry' daily. I got given three of these lip balms in different flavours for my birthday last year and ever since I have been obsessed, they stop your lips from chapping, add a tinge of colour to your lips and have a delicious taste to them, all in one!

11. Wipes
I always make sure I take all of my makeup off before bed, even if I haven't been wearing much during the day, because you can guarantee I will wake up the next morning with a huge breakout. I'm sure we've all heard the horror stories about a girl who goes to bed with her mascara on and wakes up with her eyes stuck together, etc etc, and even though I try and be realistic about things, there's no harm in staying on the safe side, right? I've been trying out a variety of wipes, but at the moment I've opted for a cheap, supermarket brand that seem to do the job of taking off makeup pretty well.


12.Spot Cream
This last one isn't something you can buy from the shops. I went to the doctors about 9 months ago to finally get something done about my acne, and they prescribed me tablets and this 'Differin Cream', which I just apply to my face every night. After using this for a long period of time I no longer get huge spots with heads that I have to pop, and my skin has cleared up dramatically, which is always something to be pleased with. However, when I first started using this it did give me large patches of dry skin on my cheeks, so if any of you are prescribed this always use a moisturiser everyday, or only use the cream every other day.


Extras
Just as a little extra, I thought I would show you some of the products I use if I want to add a little something else to my face, or if I'm going for a more dressed up look.

13.Eyeshadow
I currently own two types of eyeshadow palette, which I hadn't ever really used until recently, due to me actually being able to apply eyeshadow at an acceptable standard now. The first palette I own is the 'W7: Beauty On The Go,' which comes with five different pop-out palettes that are then handbag sized, dependent on what colour you are wearing that day. I'm not sure if they sell this in shops anymore due to the fact that I got it a long time ago, but it is perfect for someone who is just starting to use eyeshadow and needs something cheaper and basic to start out with. I am a huge fan of neutral colours and I don't like to wear colours that stand out very often, so I mostly use the brown section of this palette.

The second eyeshadow palette I own is the 'Next Desire' palette. This was given to me as a Christmas present when I was about 13, so again I'm not sure if they still sell it, but I don't use the eyeshadow section of this palette much due to the fact that it isn't very neutral and is much more glamorous, which isn't my style at all. I have used the gold and silver part of this palette occasionally on top of a brown shade just to enhance it a little more and give it a bit more depth.

14.Lip Products

I also have two types of lip product that I like to use whenever its more of an important occasion. 

The first is a lip palette, which includes six different tinted lip glosses in different shades. This is the second compartment of the 'Next Desire' palette I mentioned before, and just like the eyeshadow the lip products are very stylish and more for dressing up, rather than just your everyday look. Saying that, I have used each of the lip glosses quite a few times (as you can probably tell from the photo) and have really liked the results, as they give a very professional shine to your lips and are easily applied. This part of the compartment also comes with a highlighter and a bronzer, both of which I only use for special occasions but liked the results of.

The second product is the 'Topshop Lips' in the shade 'Brighton Rock'. I got given this for my birthday a few weeks ago and was very pleased with the result. I'm not much of a bright lipstick sort of person; I tend to stick to the dark reds if any shade at all, but I thought this particular lipstick looked great for the summer. It is a lipstick with a very matte finish and has almost no shine to it at all, so if you like lipsticks that are more glittery then I wouldn't recommend this, although this does stay on your lips incredibly well. Over the next couple of months if the sun decides to shine a bit more you will probably be seeing me wearing this more often!














No comments:

Post a Comment