Thursday 24 July 2014

Making Life Decisions

Up until now, my life has been pretty much set out for me. From when I was born until about the age of 16 my parents made most of my big decisions for me, probably because they knew that if I made all my decisions myself then disaster would strike. That's not to say that I've never made a big decision in my life; I had an input on what high school I wanted to go to at age 11, I chose what GCSE options I wanted to take when I was 14, and I chose to give up competitive swimming only recently, however all these decisions aren't massively life changing and I've never really had to deal with anything that life changing and important....until now. 
Now I know some sixteen year olds can be so calm and carefree when it comes to choosing what path you want to take when you leave high school. Some people just know exactly what they want to do when they leave school; they know what college, what university (if they want to go to uni at all), what job, what family life, what house etc. If you are one of those people, then trust me, you have no idea how lucky you are! When I was younger my dream was to become the next J.K.Rowling and publish my own bestselling series of books, but as I got older I realised that, whilst it was a lovely dream, it was so out of reach as a realistic career choice, and so I put that one to the back of my mind (for now). Now I have absolutely no idea what job I want when I'm older, so that is a potential problem when trying to decide on what A-levels to choose.
For anybody who is like me and constantly worries about everything, especially the future, I think it's best to try and not worry about it too much. Of course, it does require a little bit of thought, but I believe that everything will fall into place when the time is right. I think that when results day does come around and I am holding that piece of paper with my results printed on it, I'll just know which college is right for me. Hopefully this will also work when choosing what university I want to go to, and once i know that I can work out what job will go well with whatever degree I'm studying. I try to plan things out, but I've realised that nothing in my life ever goes to plan, so I've given up planning and am just letting things go the way they're meant to, whether it's what I expected or not. 
Also, if you're like me and can't decide what options to take to study, whether it be at high school, college or even university, just do what you love. You definitely don't want to be spending your teenage years sat in a classroom studying something you hate, especially at college where you have free rein over what subjects you want to take. At high school its harder because you have to do English, Maths and Science, but everyone gets their own choice eventually. I'm a crazy English fan so of course English Literature was my first choice for college, which made choosing other options a lot easier. It's also absolutely fine to change your mind about what options you want to study; I've changed mine round about three times and I think I'm finally happy with them (just in case anybody is wondering, I've chosen English Literature, Ancient History, Sociology and Drama and Theatre Studies). Always, always do what you want and what is going to benefit you, don't think about teachers or friends or family, because at the end of the day it's your life and you are the only one who has to go through it. 
Life decisions and trying to make them as best as you can might not be easy; it generally scares me to think about all the other decisions I have to make in later life, but I know it's just something I have to get through, and I'd love to help you guys get through making choices too! Hopefully this has helped you stop stressing as much and has cleared your head a little bit so you can make the best possible choices for your life ahead!

No comments:

Post a Comment